Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
I Have Just Received My SIM First Step
Enter the required information from your sim card into the required boxes and click the link account button.
If you do not know your PUK number you can use your mobile number for the SIM.
- When you receive your Piranha Mobile SIM card, make sure that it has not been damaged in transit.
- Log into your Piranha Mobile account using your registered username and password, If you do not have an account, you will need to create/register an account then click on "Activate Your SIM Card" and follow instructions.
- Once activated carefully remove the SIM card from its plastic housing, making sure you remove as a standard SIM, Micro SIM or Nano SIM (handset dependent), install the SIM card into your unlocked mobile phone or smartphone.
- Switch on your unlocked to all networks handset (always make sure your handset is set to automatic search and not manual search, otherwise the multi-IMSI application cannot do its work), your handset will automatically register on the default mobile network of the country you are in. It may take a while for your SIM card to locate and register onto the roaming network, please be patient. If the SIM card does not register power off and back on.
- Once the network has been found check that the screen has the name of the mobile network you are roaming on. You are now ready to go.
- Set your APN to openroamer.com to use data.
Important Note: When traveling to Canada, Japan, South Korea or Mongolia (2100). These countries/networks use 3G service only. A 3G enabled handset is required. Quad Band, Tri-Band and Dual Band GSM handsets will not work unless they also support 3G. For best results while roaming in USA, 3G supporting 1700 MHz handsets are highly recommended. Please check all GSM frequency bands on our website. It is highly recommended that when traveling from country to country you turn off handset and do not set to flight mode.
Piranha uses the voice call-back system. Instead of allowing direct calling and being charged by the visiting mobile network operator, call-back is utilised in order to give the user much lower calling costs.
- To make a call the user must first dial the required number, while always using the full international country code, i.e. calling from overseas back to a mobile or landline in the UK, the user must call 0044xxxx or +44xxxx. Press "Call" or "Send".
- The handset will then hang up, the user may or may not see a message saying "Call not allowed" or "Please wait", this message is handset dependent, please ignore message.
- After 7 or 8 seconds the user’s handset will call the user back, the user will answer as normal.
- Once answered the user will hear a voice message saying "your call is being connected", your call will then be connected to the party called.
- On rare occasions, a user using may have trouble with the auto call-back connection method. In this case please dial via the "SIM Tool Kit" ( normally found in "Applications" in Android or in "Settings", "Phone", "SIM Applications" in IPhone or by dialling 4444) or dial *111*destinationnumber#send, always using full country code, if problem persists please raise a support ticket, quoting your handsets make and model and IMEI number, you will find the IMEI number inside of your battery housing of by dialling *#06# from your handset.
- For SIM cards purchased after March 2014, locate the "SIM Tool Kit", "My Services", "Advanced Settings", "Trigger Mode", make sure that "Trigger Mode" is set to "Mode 2", if calls are still not connecting, set to "Mode 1" and try again, do not set to "SMS".
- When making calls using the Piranha VoIP Application or Direct Dial, there will be no call-back, just use your phone as normal "dial using full international code, wait and you will be connected"..
Note: All calls are billed per minute from first connection, i.e. from the time the call-back is answered and accepted by user. If the mobile network your SIM card is roaming on cannot send us the call-back in the normal way, it will, very rarely be sent to us by 'SMS Protocol'. (This does not affect how you make or receive any calls). When this happens Piranha are charged extra to receive the call, if this happens the user will be charged an additional one off connection fee of £0.20. Unfortunately, how the call is controlled by the roaming mobile network operator is out of our control.
- Piranha users answer calls as they would on their regular mobile. When answering calls the user should always be aware of the cost when roaming. Please refer to the "Rate Calculator" for incoming call charges.
- Some countries charge considerably more when roaming on their network than others, this is known as an IOT (Inter Operator Tariff) these charges are unavoidable and are therefore passed directly onto the user without benefit to Piranha.
- There are no incoming call charges or IOT charges when receiving calls via the Piranha VoIP application, if you own a Smartphone and have an internet or Wi-Fi connection you can roam for FREE, globally.
- If you have multiple numbers on your SIM card, you need never miss a call, as all numbers are active all of the time on both GSM and VoIP.
This service introduced by Piranha is the landline or mobile call-back (also known as Call Off-Load). The idea which prompted this feature is the fact that traditional call-back can be expensive in some countries where Inter Operator Termination (IOT) costs apply, so instead of getting called back on the Piranha SIM, Piranha allows customers to be called back on a local landline or mobile. For example, a customer in India who would want to call Russia, is now able to request a call-back to their direct line in India, Piranha then connects the call to the intended destination in Russia. The call is triggered using the users Piranha SIM, and is billed to the customer's mobile billing account.
Call Off-Load Set Up:
Making cheap calls using Call Off-Load:
2. Call-Back Destination Number = number where the person initiating the call wants to be called.
3.Call Destination Number = number that the person initiating the call actually wants to call.
Once the landline or mobile rings at your destination, answer the call as normal, you will then be connected to the number you are calling. Your billing cycle starts once you answer the call-back.
Piranhas call forwarding service uses advanced technology in order to optimize the cost of call forwarding. Like most GSM networks, Piranhas unconditional call forwarding (CFU) or on no response (CNFR), is charged to the user at the regular cost to terminate the call to the forwarded destination, but unlike most cellular or Roaming SIM providers, Piranhas call forwarding does not charge the cost of a standard roaming incoming call, instead you only pay the termination cost, rates are available on main website. You can activate/deactivate call forwarding for free, either from handset or your on-line account.
1. Activate call forwarding on no response: *114*number#
2. Activate unconditional call forwarding: *115*number#
3. Check call forwarding status: *116#
4. Deactivate call forwarding: *117#
From User Account:
1. Log into your account using your registered username and password.
2. Select the correct account/mobile number, if you have more than one account registered.
3. Enter the call forward number in the "Set Call Forwarding To" and “Update SIM”.
Note: When entering the number to forward all your mobile calls. I.e. US number 1202595xxxxxx or UK number 44741850xxxxx. Do not use ++ or leave spaces, always make sure the number you are forwarding too is correct.
Piranha Voicemail can be accessed by various means.
- Dial 605 "send" from your handset, after a few seconds your handset will ring, answer and listen to your messages.
- Listen to your Voicemail for FREE; via your Piranha VoIP App. Dial 605 "send".
- Listen for FREE via the web-based visual voicemail interface found in your online account.
NOTE: Voicemail's are only held for the last 7 days. If you wish you can download the Voicemail and save the message from your online SIM accounts.
Get account balance and numbers from your handset:
- Dial *301#send from your handset, your balance will be displayed on your screen.
- Dial *113#send from your handset, your mobile numbers will be displayed on your screen.
Setting up data roaming could not be easier, just follow these simple steps and you will be mobile surfing in minutes.
- Install SIM card into an unlocked data enabled mobile handset-device.
- Check the data rates for best priced roaming network of the country you are in.
- If the best priced mobile roaming data network has not been automatically chosen, you can manually choose.
- For Android O/S, go into your handset-device menu and select "Settings", select "Wireless and Networks", select "Mobile Network Settings", select "Access Point Names", select "New APN". Fill out the details as you see them on the handset screen.
- Name: Piranha Mobile
- APN: openroamer.com
- Proxy: (Ignore)
- Port : (Ignore)
- User Name: (Ignore)
- Password: (Ignore)
- Authentication: (Ignore)
- Remember to Save the APN before going back to the home menu. Data roaming can be very expensive, so please Do Not forget to switch off data roaming when not in use. Once APN settings have been saved you can access your data by activating data roaming as and when required.
- For IOS (Apple) go into your handset-device menu and select "Settings", select "Mobile", then "Mobile Data Network". Fill out the details as you see them on the handset screen.
- APN: openroamer.com
- Username: Piranha Mobile
- Password: (Ignore)
- The settings will be saved automatically.
Note: Alternatively Apple users can download and install a separate APN application at www.openroamerapn.com .WI-FI or data connection is required. To delete the application go to handset settings->general->profiles->openroamer->remove.
- Sending an SMS (texting) is no different than sending from your standard operator, when sending use full country code followed by the recipient’s number and press send. SMS is priced per operator; check the rates calculator for costs. The receiving of SMS is always FREE.
- Piranha Mobile SMS is limited to the standard 150 characters, if you go over the specified allowance you will be charged for sending two or more SMS texts.
- When sending an SMS via the on-line portal, you must first drop the "0" in the receivers number and replace it with "1", when sending to a Piranha Mobile US-Canadian number, "44" when sending to a Piranha Mobile UK number.
For example: When sending to 02025xxxxxx (US-Canadian number) replace the "0" with "1" (12025xxxxxx) and send. When sending to 07418xxxxxx (UK number) replace "0" with "44" (447418xxxxxx) and send. When sending to Australian number replace"0" with 61 (6188xxxxxxxxx) and send. You will receive on-line confirmation when your SMS has been sent, i.e. "your text message has been sent".
There is no guarantee that your message will be delivered to the subscriber, as this depends on transmissions between third party mobile carriers in foreign countries over which we have no control.
Note: Anyone can send SMS for FREE via the on-line Piranha Mobile SMS portal (only applies when sending to other Piranha Mobile numbers).
You can also if you wish have all SMS messages copied and sent to your shop registered email address by using short code, text emailon to 222, to deactivate this function text emailoff to 222.
Text of the message, is limited to 459 characters. Messages longer than 153 characters will be delivered as multi-part SMS and email if set to receive SMS by email.
Setting up VoIP on your Android-IPhone handset.
- Establish Internet or Wi-Fi connection.
- Download the free Zopier Sip Softphone App, see below
- Enter your username and password.
- To access your username and password.
- Log into your online account.
- Select account.
- Tick the box next to “ Get SIP/VoIP Details By SMS”
- Click “Update SIM”..
- Or text the word SIP from your Piranha Sim to 222, your VoIP details will be returned to you by SMS, this is not a free service and you will be charged the price of the advertised SMS.
Your VoIP username and password will be sent to your Piranha SIM card only, this is a security measure to stop anyone accessing your details.
VoIP calls to other countries and networks start from as little as £0.01 per minute and are always FREE to receive.
5. Non Android/IPhone handset Users: Users wanting to access and use the VoIP service can download and install various Softphone diallers, Piranha recommends the Zopier softphone dialler, Click Here. Once installed you will find Piranha in the settings list of VoIP UK provides, click and install username and password.
All other VoIP diallers will require the user to insert the VoIP Sever address (piranhavoip.net), and the VoIP username and password.
Note: Always use full the country code when making outgoing calls.
Using Your SIM Account
The My SIM Accounts listed in your shop account comprises of three button icons.
The first Hart icon when clicked will take you to the Activate Your SIM Card page to link and activate your sim card.
The second Gauge shaped icon will take you to a list on any linked or activated sim you have on your account.
The Dollar Bill icon will take you to your list of account that you can add top-up airtime credit to.
The Your Available SIM Accounts is where you can a full list of activated SIM cards in your account.
- The Recharge battery icon when clicked will take you to the SIM Top-Up recharge page, where you can add credit to your SIM account.
- The Settings gears icon when clicked will take you to the sim settings where you can change the SIM configuration.
- The Call Logs people icon when clicked will take you to a searchable list of all you calls on the selected SIM card.
- The Dollar Bill icon will take you to a searchable list of all transactions you have made on the selected account.
- The File with Speaker icon takes you to a list of any voicemail's that you have received in the last 7 days.
- The Balance column shows the current available air time balance for that SIM account.
- The SIM ID column is an editable from settings page, identification name given to the SIM.
- The Account No column is the unique account number for your SIM card.
- The Mobile No column shows the number assigned to your SIM.
By clicking on any of the icons will take you to the relevant page to view.
Within your account settings you can make changes to some of the SIM options available.
- : This will give you a hint on the SIM setting to help you.
- Setting: The name of the SIM Setting.
- Current Setting: Displays the current setting applied to the SIM.
Changing The SIM Settings:
- Current Balance: This shows the available airtime credit on this SIM account.
- Primary Number: This is the main account mobile number for this SIM.
- All Numbers: Each SIM is supplied with 2 mobile numbers, one USA and one UK, here are listed the numbers for your SIM.
- SIM Account Number: This is the unique number assigned to your account for identification purposes.
- SIM Identification ID: This can be changed to something you can associate with. Very useful if you have multiple SIM accounts.
- SIM ICCID: This Integrated Circuit Card Identifier identifies each SIM internationally.
- SIM Status: Using this option allows you to Activate or Deactivate your SIM. If Deactivated the SIM will not work in the device until Reactivated again.
- Data Status: You can enable or disable data usage on your SIM.
- SIP/VoIP Status: From here you can enable or disable your SIM VoIP functionality.
- Voicemail Status: To select whether to receive or not receive voicemail's on your mobile.
- Current Roaming Profile: The Roaming Profiles are used to determine which networks you can roam on. In some cases, some networks in certain locations can provide better network reception, and you can set the roaming profile accordingly. See Rates (Using The Rates Calculator) for further information.
- Current Translation Profile: A Translation Profile can be set if the calls you are making are within the same Country without needing to first put the international dialing code in. Only Countries listed are supported.
- Activate / Deactivate Call Forwarding: If activated and a call forwarding number has been set, all calls will be diverted to the set number.
- Call Forwarding Number: This stores a number that you would like to have call forwarding set to, remember to use full international dialing code in front of the number.
- Get Sip/VoIP Details by SMS: To get your secret VoIP username and password, check the box and click UPDATE SIM SETTINGS to receive them by SMS to your mobile.
- Top-Up with Voucher: If you have a top-up voucher for adding call credit to your account, enter it here and UPDATE SIM SETTINGS to apply it to your account balance.
To add airtime to your SIM account is as simple as 1234. Use the steps listed below to successfully recharge your SIM account.
Your call history is in real time, so you can see immediately what the call cost you.
- Date: The date and time in hundred hours GMT.
- Type: This is the type of call made or received.
- Duration: The number of minutes the call took, minimum is 1 minute. If a data usage it is in kb minimum is 100kb.
- From: This is the number that the call was made from.
- To: This is the number that the call was made to.
- Location: This is the Country the call was made from.
- Network: This is the network provider the call was terminated on.
- Cost: The amount the call was charged against your account balance.
You can search by date and print out your call history or use the page navigation buttons below the call log list.
NOTE: Call Logs are only held for the last 60 days. Please search and print for your records before becoming unavailable.
Transactions are recorded on any balance changes credited or deducted from your account in real time.
- Date: The date and time in hundred hours GMT of the transaction.
- Transaction: This is the amount added or deducted from your account. All transactions are in a base currency of GBP.
- Order Ref: This is the Reference that is recorded against the transaction to identify it.
- Type: This is the type of transaction made against the account.
You can search by date and print out your transactions for your records or use the page navigation buttons below the transactions list.
NOTE: Transactions are only held for the last 60 days. Please search and print for your records before becoming unavailable.
We provide a Customer Support Ticketing System for registered users HERE.
To use the Ticket Support, you will need to register and be logged in to your shop account.
Where you can view existing tickets, or raise new tickets.
Always provide as much information to help us assist and resolve any problems as quickly as possible.
For SIM related issues: Provide your Mobile Number. Provide your SIM ICCID. Provide your SIM Account Number. All this information can be obtained from your View & Edit your SIM accounts HERE.